Sunday, August 19, 2007

Bicycle Commuter Bill

The Bicycle Commuter Act would give people who commute by bikes the same government/employer subsidies as commuters who carpool, vanpool, or ride mass transportation. Makes a lot of sense when you think of the infrastructure requirements of bikes compared to the others. Bikes are the most efficient form of transportation we have at our disposal. Also in the transportation bill are extra funds for bike trails and paths. Which in Reno are quite clearly a popular way to get home from work. In the time it took me to change a flat behind the Riverbend Apartments Thursday I saw a more than dozen bikes including a three-wheeled HANDBIKE!

Then you get stuff like this:

MARY PETERS: Well, there's about probably some 10 percent to 20 percent of the current spending that is going to projects that really are not transportation, directly transportation-related. Some of that money is being spent on things, as I said earlier, like bike paths or trails. Some is being spent on museums, on restoring lighthouses, as I indicated.
Makes me wonder what she thinks is happening when one manages to go from point A to point B on a bicycle. Sometimes I think even if people could fly they'd still be lazy enough to take a car!

Here's some more info.

Commute By Bike
Dirt Rag Blog

Fortunately, it's easy to make your voice heard. Send a note to Ms. Peters. Or if you're concerned about how people in Reno feel, which you should be, take a moment to write a letter to the editor of the RGJ.

Peace out,

-M

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wolfy- great post! Very informative and I like the way you're thinking!!! DeF

August 21, 2007 at 4:46 PM  
Blogger Reno Rambler said...

Peters is a simpleton. This kind of reductionary thinking just boggles my mind. I suppose we shouldn't be surprised considering this administration's shortsightedness regarding...well, everything....

August 22, 2007 at 7:12 PM  
Blogger stickerguy said...

I just sent this letter:

Dear Secretary Peters:
I gave up my car more than ten years ago and filled my garage with a small fleet of bicycles. I've been pedaling 5+ miles each way to work every day ever since, and I love it. My ride gets my blood pumping, so I stay fit. And since there is a great dedicated bike/pedestrian path running along the river between my home and my workplace, I also get some fresh air! The ride is simultaneously relaxing and invigorating. Not having to worry about cars removes the stress and danger that cyclists normally have to deal with when forced to share the road.

More bicycle facilities like bike paths & bike racks will help get people out of their cars and enjoy the healthy, pollution-free alternative that is the bicycle.
Sincerely,
Pete Menchetti

September 12, 2007 at 3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am an African American woman with naturally kinky/coarse hair. I decided to stop using relaxers over a year ago, furthermore straightening my hair became a difficult task. I could never seem to get the

results I was looking for out of a flat iron without going to a professional hair salon and spending $65.00 a visit.

December 29, 2012 at 2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought the product after my hairdresser used it on my hair once. It was great. The hair stays smooth and frizz-free until your next wash. Don't have to worry about

doing it again the next day. Love it.

December 30, 2012 at 1:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home